November 27, 2009

Under Someone Else’s Rain

Juan Gelman



Carlos Alonso (illustrations)

«I close my eyes in the Roman sunshine. You pass over Rome, Sun, and in a few hours over what used to be my home, not taking me with you but lighting up places where I’m missing, which I claim, which claim me. You’ll warm them anyway, just when I’ll be shivering with cold.»



Juan Gelman wrote Under Someone Else’s Rain in 1980, during his exile in Rome. The texts in this book make up a mosaic of poignant reflections on exile, absence and grief. Created with a similar degree of feeling and depth, Carlos Alonso’s etchings resonate with Gelman’s words.

The combination of word and image generates an emotive statement of resplendent clarity.


160 x 240 mm; 64 pp. Hardback with Jacket




See the author's biography
See the illustrator's biography

1 comentarios:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.